Wednesday, February 4, 2009

And then there was one....

This post is long overdue, therefore it may be tolerable in length. This past Christmas was one of the best I have ever had. It had nothing to do with gifts, although those were all very nice. It was because ALL of my kids, kids in law and grandkids were here. It wasn't that it was peaceful, in fact it was usually rather hectic and crazy, but I loved every minute of it. Early in the morning, Grandpa and I would exercise and we were usually joined by some of the grandchildren. Jared would listen at the closed door of the weight room and ask," Quien es?" When we answered, he would come in and join us. Annie slept in a room by ours, and I would listen for a knock on her door and then a sweet, "Hello?" Alex watched the first ten minutes of Cars 638 times. Mylah slept at her house, but came over every day with her big smile and black button eyes, thrilled to be with her cousins. Luke sat up and learned to roll over and won everyone's heart with his charming smile. Sometimes a couple of cousins would dismantle the poinsettias, put the dog's food in the dog's water -- or their own mouths, or sneak up to Aunt Aimee's room to survey and snitch her candy stash. The big kids would stay up late watching movies, playing games or just talking. (Grandpa and I usually hit the sack early to get up for those workouts and to play with the little ones when they got up.) We had lots of great food, played in the snow, played on the Wii, went to the movies and the Temple grounds. Everyone left on the Saturday after NewYear's Day except Aimee. I knew she should go back to school, but I didn't want the house empty so soon.

So, here we are, everyone gone but Josh. When he's at school and Rob's at work, I can hear the furnace vents expand and the clock ticking on the wall. Every now and then I get out my photos and relive that incredibly happy time and look forward to the next time some or all of us can be together!

3 comments:

sherrie bebe said...

well said! We sure enjoyed it. Thanks for hosting it and putting up with all the commotion. We were also very appreciative of not having to get up with Annie so we could recover from nights with Luke! Can't wait for the next time!!

Aimee and David said...

It was SUCH a fun Christmas!! I can't wait to get everyone back together again!!

coolhandluke said...

I was really glad we could spend a couple more days with you all with such short notice of my extended vacation. Thank you so much for all you did and always do. We love you lots!